To enhance our campaign for a Moratorium on Out-Of-School-Suspensions and learn best practices for inter-generational organizing, the Youth Organizing Institute is taking members of NC HEAT (NC Heroes Emerging Among Teens) & EJA (Education Justice Alliance) to Atlanta to meet with JustUSATL, and Project South then heading to Miami to meet with Power U!
This trip will bring high school youth and elders together to:
- Meet with leaders and members of Project South and Power U to understand their inter-generational organizing models.
- Explore challenges of organizing in the south specifically around race and religion and develop new outreach strategies.
- Discuss current campaign for a moratorium on out-of-school suspensions and the challenges associated with educating teachers, peers, and administrators about restorative justice (particularly within the context of a region with low union density and right-to-work laws).
- Build network of inter-generational organizations building power to fight the school-to-prison-pipeline and working for racial justice, immigrant, and LGBTQ justice in the South.
Funds raised will be used for:
- Purchasing the van
- Travel expenses (gas, housing, food)
We have already received a grant for $6,500 of our $10,000 budget for the van and our trip. Please help us get across the finish line!