This is YOI’s inaugural media round-up! Check in every other week to find a collection of articles, blog posts, art and media from our YOI alums/grads, community partners and allies and relevant movement updates in North Carolina, across the South and what’s inspiring us from all over the country and world–with a particular focus on the struggles youth, people of color, LGBTQ youth and working class youth are fighting!
We hope that this will be an opportunity to uplift the work we are doing as well as more proactively archiving and documenting our struggles!
From our Youth and Staff
- Our staff member Sanyu Shares a short reflection on her recent trip to Portland, OR for a members convening with Dignity in Schools Campaign.
- Our staff member Q wrote a piece entitled “Intersections: Young, Black and Queer” that’s been published on Nubian Message about the intersections of Blackness and Queerness. Check it out!!!
For all people of color at N.C. State, a desk in a classroom where we’re the only brown dot on the horizon can feel like a desert island. The need for community, support, and shared understanding and experiences is something we have all felt deeply; but for queer Black folks, that need is experienced to the power of two.
- One of our Freedom School graduates, Ajamuito, wrote a short piece on the importance of solidarity with Ferguson and Palestine! You can read it here.
The killing of Mike Brown is nothing new to our community, in fact it happens quiet often, and unarmed people of color are being killed by the police nation-wide and nothing is changing.
- Students in Newark Public Schools took to the streets earlier this week to demand local control of their school system. Check out this short video from the Newark Students Union.
- The Queer Youth Power Coalition was selected as a participating non-profit in the 2014 Indy Week Giving Guide! Congrats!
Actions/Events: Upcoming and Recently
- Durham Solidarity Center where YOI is housed kicks off Solidarity September! Check out their newsletter (which mentions a “DING DONG! ART POPE IS GONE!” Dance Party)
- Check out this video from a Raise Up Fast Food Strike in Durham, NC from last week.
- North Carolina Student Power Union‘s Fall Conference: STAND UP, FIGHT BACK! RSVP HERE!
- iNSIDEoUT’s Leaders’ Leadership Retreat is happening this weekend! We hope that all of the QSA/GSA leaders who are present have a blast.
- Dignity In Schools Week of Action October 4-11, 2014. Keep your eyes open for a week of action coordinated with YOI in the Raleigh/Durham area.
Other important things!
- Check out Hands Up United to keep up with what’s happening in Ferguson, MO!